Saturday, November 5, 2011

My first 1/2 marathon


Six months ago, I decided I was going to run a race.  Why not?  Why couldn't I do that?  This very question is why I do things like buy a motorcycle, THEN learn how to ride it.  I simply decide I'm going to try something and not finishing it isn't an option.  So, I signed up for a 1/2 marathon, then started training.  Making the commitment first, then trying it out seems backwards.  But not for me.  I knew my husband for 7 months before we got married.  I made the commitment, then got to know him.  This may sound risky to some.  And it would have been had I not known his character and devotion to the Lord.  Everything else (flaws, personality conflicts) was something we would overcome.  Because of our commitment.  Quitting isn't an option.  Like it or not.  I didn't care for the motorcycle and eventually sold it (once I mastered it, of course).  Fortunately, I happen to love running.  And my husband!  I trained by putting one foot in front of the other, as often as I could considering childcare restrictions.  No elaborate plan.  Simply collecting tidbits from seasoned runners along the way, and pushing myself a little farther each time. 

The day I ran 4 miles, I was beside myself.  Who would have ever thought?  One day I set out for 11 and just kept going.  I ran 13.1 miles that day. 

I knew I had what it took to run the whole race.  The best part of running is the community.  The worst is my newfound knee issue.  Race day was a great experience.  From waking up at 4am to hanging out with other crazies in the chilly darkness to watching the sun rise and anticipating the start of the final test.  Oh, while thousands cheer you on.  Very, very exhilarating experience.  I will be doing this again next year.

2005
2003

No comments:

Post a Comment