Monday, April 9, 2012

My paintings

Before I got married, I took some oil painting classes.  Turns out I am good at mixing colors and have pretty good hand-eye coordination.  I am lacking in the creative department.  I can look at something and copy it pretty well, but do not have the mind to create something from an image in my mind's eye.  This is a painting of a photo I took outside of a bakery in Maastricht, Netherlands.  I was a guest of Rhonda St. Peters, a friend from Daddy's Captain's Career Course after we got married.  We became friends, so I visited her while Daddy was in Iraq for the second time, in 2006.  I gave her this painting as a 'thank you' for hosting me.

 I 'stole' this idea from a painter in Newport, RI.  It was hanging in a gallery and I loved the simplicity and color.  I found it on his website and replicated it.  I suppose it's not illegal or immoral as long as I don't try and sell it!
 I worked on this painting while Daddy was in Iraq the first time (2005).  It is a painting of a photo we had taken at our wedding.  We gave it to Grandma and Granddad as a Christmas present.
 This one also now belongs to my friend, Rhonda.  I took the photo in Heidelburg, Germany, the town where she once lived, while vacationing there with your Grandma Karen.
 I painted the roses during one of my classes in Savannah, GA.  I gave it to Grandma Karen as a Mother's day gift one year.  Unfortunately, I could not find it when Grandpa Emenheiser moved out of their Lebanon, PA home.  No one knows what happened to it.
 This was just a fun painting I was trying out.  I didn't love it, so I gave it to a coworker at the time who did.
 I found this picture in a calender.  It's a part of Central Park.
I don't paint often.  I don't have an ideal place to do it, I dislike the clean-up and really, who has the time?  I will return to it one day.  I do love the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment