Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas '11 (and some memories of Christmas past)

I've been thinking about traditions this holiday.  I need to get some started now that I have children.  It gives holidays a familiar, comforting joy.  Particularly as an adult.  It's something you can rely on, whether it's a place you belong year after year or an act that says 'you belong to me and I to you'.  Maybe it's an event that puts life in perspective or recognizes what's really important.   


 Everyone is doing the "Elf on the Shelf", and I must admit, it seems like good fun.  I have put this on my list to do next year.  I am certain the girls will get a kick out of looking for this little, creepy guy every day in December.  He may even show up mid-July for giggles ;)

So far, without really thinking about it, I guess we already have a couple of traditions.  For the past three years, I have gone out to buy new Christmas dresses for the girls and have their picture taken with Santa Claus.  Maybe we'll continue this.  Maybe Marielle will only wear one shoe from now on.  Hey, all traditions gotta begin somewhere, right?



The girls have also celebrated Christmas Eve at Aunt Gwen's house each year of their 'long' lives.  As a matter of fact, I too have been celebrating at her house since I was born!  It's that place where I know I belong year after year.  I can remember being around Laken's age and eager to leave Aunt Gwen's and get home to bed in case Santa showed up. 


There's always a nice feast!

 Cousins to play with


 And good spirits


On Christmas morning, we sang "Happy Birthday, Jesus."  We will definitely keep this tradition.  It keeps us focused on why we are gathered here....the birth of our Savior.

WVU gear always turns up in someone's gift bag.



More cousins



I am definately looking forward to starting some real meaningful traditions as the girls get older.  Some way for them to keep in mind the reason for the season, and the less fortunate.  I also hope they are celebrating the same traditions with their children, 30+ years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment