Saturday, December 31, 2011

My New Year's Resolutions

Wow.  2012.  Personally, I love the thought of a 'fresh start'.  I love 'closure' and goals and all that crap.  What a better time to clean up your life than New Year's Day?  The most popular day of the year to quit smoking, and lose weight (which pisses me off cause my gym is PACKED all of the sudden).  But, I love self-improvement and second-chances as much as the next girl.  So, I took some time to reflect on ways that I suck and am planning to set out to become the 'me' that I might actually like to be married to (this is the question I sometimes ask myself in order to discover the ways in which I suck).  So, without further ado.....

1.  I feed my family (and myself) crap.  This leads me to the resolution of 'clean eating'.  You've heard it....if God didn't make it, don't eat it.  Or if it doesn't have a mother or a seed, don't eat it?  Something like that.  This will take more effort on my husband's part than mine.  Eating healthy is expensive!  And my husband is, well, economical.  He tried to convince me tonight that "Jesus made sausage".  He might have, but it's not in the bible, so, no dice.  I actually went into this one pretty optimistic until I tried to recruit a friend and she reminded me that our children's naptime will now suck (no more twinkies that we've been hiding from the kids while watching last night's Biggest Loser or Bachelor??).
2.  Facebook less.  Can I just say that #1 would be a heck of lot easier if I made #2 possible.  Plus my house would be a lot cleaner.  Hmmm.
3.  Be a better friend.  Ouch.  This was hard to admit, but I can be a pretty crappy friend.  I'm not going to try and make up some excuse or even search for the truth within.  All I know is that I haven't had a best friend since college.  And when I saw that person recently, she told me she still considers me her best friend.  I haven't sent her daughter a birthday card in 10 years.  And that's something your best friend does.  Period.
4.  Build more muscle.  I'm not interested in losing weight, although that will be a good effect of this resolution.  I just want to be stronger.  And get compliments on my massive man-like arms :)
 
                                                                                             
5.  Learn to sew.  This hit me like a ton of bricks when my friend told me that she sewed her family matching pajama bottoms for Christmas.  I don't get domestic pangs very often.  Maybe once a year.  But this did it for me.  I want to sew matching pajama bottoms for my family.  And maybe an apron and some curtains.  I'm going to dust off the sewing machine and ask my husband to teach me.  Yes, you heard me correctly.
6.  Stop judging others and talking bad about people.  This one was purely holy spirit driven.  I (or God) asked myself "would you say that about that person if they were standing right beside you?"  My answer was "Oh, heck no!"  This will be the toughest crappy behavior for me to change.  Judging others for their poor decisions makes me feel like I know what I'm doing in life.  Now how will I feel?  I might need a therapist for this one.
                                                                                                   
So, the countdown begins.  A fresh start.  A new me.  Until then, I shall sit here and eat Kraft macaroni and cheese while talking trash about my friends and family.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. you are awesome. beyond awesome actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great friend and I'm thankful to have you! plus, anytime you want to sew jammies I'll give you a demo :) super easy! great post...i need to "ditto" most of them! :)

    ReplyDelete